Interview: Respawn’s Titanfall
- Will there be any character and/or Titan customisation elements? If so, are you able to go into any detail about what we can expect at launch?
No details yet, sorry!
- The demo at E3 was a 7v7 match, will the final game also be 7v7 or will it vary from mode to mode? Also, are you able to give us any details on the different modes available?
We haven’t locked a final player count, it’s definitely part of the balancing our designers do all the time. There will be other modes in the game as well, but for now we’re focusing on Campaign Multiplayer.
- Will there be any levelling system? For example, weapon unlocks and upgrades, ‘perks’ and the like?
Progression is definitely a part of what we’re doing, but I don’t have the details for you yet.
- We’ve heard that Titanfall will harness the power of the cloud for dedicated servers but it’s also been said you’ll be offsetting some of the processing to the cloud, can you go into any detail about how that works? If someone has a laggy/unreliable connection how will that effect their experience?
We are planning on going into detail on this shortly. I’m not an engineer so I’d rather one of them takes this question. If you look at the “Second Skin” feature on Polygon one of our engineers goes into some
detail about Cloud’s capabilities.
- Will there be any class based combat? If so, will there also be different types of Mechs available?
There are other playable characters and Titans in the game, but we aren’t showing those yet.
- When will Titans be available? Is it one per life, one per match, does it work like a killstreak or is there another way of earning them?
So Titans are available throughout the match and are set to a timer. You can decrease the amount of time it takes to call in a Titan by completing objectives and getting kills. Once you lose your Titan the countdown starts again. It is possible that everyone in the match could have a Titan on the battlefield at the same time.
- In light of the Xbox One DRM changes, will there be any way to play the game offline? Will the matches be filled with bots or is an internet connection required to play?
Titanfall is a multiplayer game so no change currently.
- Since the Xbox One version uses the cloud, does this mean the Xbox 360 and PC versions will be worse off? Are you able to go into any detail about the differences between the platforms?
There will be differences because the platforms are different but the game isn’t finished yet so I can’t go into detail about what they might be.
- What sort of size can we expect for the maps? Will they be large and open or tight and compact?
This is a pretty interesting question. We have to have maps that support not only the Titans which are over 20 feet tall but also human-sized Pilots, so even our “smaller” maps are pretty large comparatively. What’s cool is each map has areas for Titans and areas for Pilots, so you get these smaller maps built into the larger ones and all these cool pathways through them.
- What’s the biggest secret you’re allowed to tell us? Or conversely, what’s the biggest secret you’re not allowed to tell us?
Ha, if I went spilling all our secrets I’d be in trouble. We have a lot more to show and stuff core shooter fans will really like.
- What separates Titanfall from the other shooters on the market? If someone is unsure about purchasing Titanfall, how would you convince them to pick up a copy?
Personally I think the movement and scale of Titanfall make it really unique. There are so many things you can do and I come away from every playthrough with a new “Oh my god, did you see that?!” moment. I can talk all day about Titanfall but I think seeing it in action is what will sway people who are on the fence.
- Lastly, when can we expect the game to launch and on what platforms?
Spring 2014 on Xbox One, PC and 360. We seriously can’t wait for you all to get your hands on it.